February 24, 2021: Dairy Week In Review

Total milk production in January was up 1.6 percent from a year ago to 19.17 billion pounds, with 85,000 head more cows and 0.6 percent more milk per cow. Cow numbers were up 8,000 head from December, with the nation’s dairy herd at its largest since 1995. Total milk production for 2020 was up 2.2 percent from 2019, according to the USDA Milk Production report, with the nation’s herd average at 23,777 pounds per cow, up 382 pounds from 2019 and up 11.5 percent in the past 10 years. Read More