The Dairy Future Commission Will Answer Questions and Share Recommendations They Gave to Legislature
Dairy producers and industry professionals are invited to a free webinar, titled “Exploring the Future of the Pennsylvania Dairy Industry,” on Wednesday, August 12 from 12 to 1:15 p.m. Participants will hear from members of the Dairy Future Commission who plan to share the recent recommendations they have given to legislature on behalf of the dairy industry. Originally intended to be discussed during the Dairy Industry Breakfast at Ag Progress Days, the event has been converted to a virtual webinar format and will be hosted by the Center for Dairy Excellence and Penn State Extension.
The Dairy Future Commission is the result of Act 66, signed by Governor Tom Wolf in July 2019, and is responsible for reviewing the status of Pennsylvania’s dairy industry and making recommendations to support a bright future. The 24-member Commission has spent the past year reviewing key obstacles and opportunities within Pennsylvania’s dairy industry to identify 54 meaningful recommendations to enhance the future of the industry in the Commonwealth.
“In this time of crisis, it is important for the Pennsylvania dairy industry to be engaged in the potential ideas being proposed to support the industry. These recommendations provide a framework for how the Dairy Future Commission thinks the dairy industry can be improved,” said Brett Reinford of Reinford Farms, Pennsylvania Dairy Future Commission Chair. “The virtual webinar discussion is a great opportunity to participate and be part of the effort.”
During the panel discussion, participants will have the opportunity to ask questions about the Commission’s recommendations and share input on the issues that matter most to Pennsylvania dairy farmers. Featured speakers and facilitators on the webinar include:
- Brett Reinford, Reinford Farms, Pennsylvania Dairy Future Commission Chair
- Glenn Stoltzfus, Pennwood Farms, Pennsylvania Dairy Future Commission member, and Chair of the Commission’s State Level Committee
- Carissa Westrick, Valewood Dairy, Pennsylvania Dairy Future Commission member, and Chair of the Commission’s Consumer Level Committee
- Dina Zug, Zugstead Farm, Pennsylvania Dairy Future Commission member, and Chair of the Commission’s Market Level Committee
- David Swartz, Penn State Extension, Pennsylvania Dairy Future Commission member, and Member of the Commission’s Farm Level Committee
Jayne Sebright, Executive Director of the Center for Dairy Excellence and Pennsylvania Dairy Future Commission member, will facilitate the discussion.
The webinar is free, but advanced registration is required. Visit extension.psu.edu/exploring-the-future-of-the-pennsylvania-dairy-industry to register online, or call the Center at 717-346-0849 for more information.