The Center for Dairy Excellence is working to ensure Pennsylvania dairy farm families have contingency plans in place to protect their employees and businesses in light of the COVID-19 situation. Dairy producers who are interested in having assistance in preparing a contingency plan to address critical areas of operation related to COVID-19 will be paired with dairy industry professionals. The industry professional and farm team will work together remotely to address farm management questions and develop detailed plans for operations amidst the pandemic.
We strongly encourage farms to work with an industry professional who can assist with contingency planning. Contact Melissa Anderson by email or call 717-636-0779 to be paired with a professional. She can also provide the contingency planning template if you would prefer to create a plan on your own.
Fill out the form below to be paired with a professional.
How It Works
During remote meetings, dairy farms will work with industry professionals to discuss the following guidelines and establish written contingency plans for navigating these new restraints:
- Strategies for practicing social distancing and communicating with farm staff
- Steps to protect employees, which may include informing them about coronavirus, providing appropriate cleaning supplies, cross-training for critical jobs, and providing resources like travel letters for potential “Shelter in Place” restrictions
- Procedures for farm visits and deliveries to mitigate the spread of coronavirus and ensure farm safety
- Preparations for maintaining dairy and medical supplies and plans for how to operate if they become in short supply
- Strategies to mitigate any potential losses in product sales associated with the COVID-19 situation
- Financial calculations to determine how the business can continue to operate given any potential loss in product sales
Thinking about these new guidelines and restraints can be stressful, but it is essential for us to come together and confront this uncertainty with action.